//Google Analytics

Monday, December 16, 2013

DIY: 4 Step Gift Bag {Guest Post}

A couple weeks ago I shared how to make gift boxes out of cardboard tubes, you can read that post HERE. This week I've got one of my favorite bloggers guest posting for me with her 4-Step Gift Bag tutorial! Pam from Brown Thumb Mama has an awesome blog about gardening, thrifty living, recipes and lots of laughs. Be sure to "like" her Facebook page too!


I hate wrapping presents. Searching for paper, finding boxes, awkward-sized packages...and don't get me started on the ribbons, bows, and foofy decorations. Gack. A couple of years ago, I decided to make gift bags of all sizes to use for Christmas presents. Keep in mind that I'm not a very good seamstress, so this was a big accomplishment for me! I decided that a little bit of work up front would give me years without wrapping paper. It was too good to be true! Yes, yes it was. I realized at the end of the day that nobody had returned the bags their gifts were in. So here I am, sewing up another set of gift bags. This time I took some pictures so you can make them too. You will need: Fabric Thin ribbon for the drawstring Sewing machine Iron Measure the size of your gift. (This seems obvious, but if you saw the first batch of too-small-for-anything bags I made you'd understand.) Give yourself at least an inch of space all the way around, and cut out the desired shape.

1. Start with the Quick-Fold Trick

Turn the fabric over so you're looking at the wrong side. Fold the top two inches over so the fold runs off the side of the fabric. Pop it with a hot iron so the fold will stay. Sew down the middle of each fold and run the stitches straight off the edge of the fabric. Repeat on all four corners.

2. Sew up Sides and Top

Run a straight stitch up from the bottom to close up the sides, stopping when you get to the folded part. Fold over about 1/4 inch of each top flap, iron it so it stays, and stitch across.

3. Finish Drawstring Tunnel

Fold down each of the top flaps, and sew all the way across to make the drawstring tunnel. Don't sew the bag shut (ask me how I know). Repeat on the other side.

4. Add the Ribbon

Thread the ribbon through one side of the tunnel, across the "jump," and out the other side. Knot the ends. Repeat, starting the ribbon on the opposite side, so you can pull the knots to close the bag.


And you're done! Jackjack suggests that you stuff the bag full of good presents.


Drawstring bags have tons of uses beyond Christmas presents. Use a light muslin and make produce bags to take to the farmer's market, or pick out a fun print and make a bag for the kids' blocks, or whip up birthday party goodie bags.


Hi! I'm Pam, otherwise known as BrownThumbMama. I'm a corporate writer by day, hobby gardener, avid reader, and housework avoider by night. 

I'm here to show that everyday, working moms and families can enjoy good health and nutrition while living a thrifty life. I give examples, recipes, and real-life stories of our family to show how we do this. 







Thanks for guest posting for me Pam! I'll be making some of these bags for sure! I may wait till after Christmas this year so I can get fabric that's been marked way down ;-) 

Till next time,
Catherine

7 comments:

  1. These are cute plus they can be reused. I like that!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Too cute! My sewing machine is a brat, otherwise they would be so easy to make! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really so inspired from your post, also i love these bags.
    Thanks for sharing

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad you like them! Pam did a fantastic job!

      Delete
  4. I should have known this concept came from you. So awesome. What a unique Gift Bags idea!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comment! I try to reply to all of the comments so be sure to check back if you asked a question. You can also leave your e-mail address in the comment and I'll let you know when I have replied!